- The Abia State Police Command wishes to address the recent incident involving the arrest carried out by some police personnel at an online radio studio in Umuahia.
- Preliminary investigations into the incident indicate that the police officers who made the arrest, conducted themselves unprofessionally.
- This is because, while there is no law prohibiting a police officer from making an arrest in a studio, the facts surrounding the particular case being investigated by the police officers do not warrant such actions.
- The Commissioner of Police Abia State Command visited ABN TV/Radio on 17/1/24, where he conducted an on-the-spot assessment. He had discussions with the Director of ABN TV/Radio, and apologized for the conduct of the officers. The matter was resolved amicably.
- However, the officers have been defaulted and their orderly room trial commences today 18/1/2023. If found guilty they will be disciplined accordingly.
- The Abia State Police Command is committed to maintaining a professionally competent, service-driven, rule-of-law compliant, and people-friendly Police Force, in line with the vision of the Inspector General of Police, IGP Kayode Ebetokun, PhD NPM.
ASP Maureen Chinaka LLB ANIPR
FOR: The Commissioner of Police
Abia State Command